My Headlines

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Goodbye Cool Hand Luke

From The Sting to Slapshot, Paul Newman had audiences worldwide stop everything and take a seat and watch, to me he was a mans man in the line of Eastwood and early Bronson, he personified cool, but unbeknown to many, he was a very giving man, here's a snip from a dedication page on YouTube by Maureen52:
In 1982, Newman and his neighbor, A.E. Hotchner, started a company to market Newman's original oil-and-vinegar dressing. Newman's Own, which began as a joke, grew into a multimillion-dollar business selling popcorn, salad dressing, spaghetti sauce and other foods. All of the company's profits are donated to charities. By 2007, the company had donated more than $175 million.

In 1988, Newman founded a camp in N.E. Connecticut for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. He went on to establish similar camps in several other states and in Europe.
It's been a tough week for all of us, and I apologize for not bringing this up sooner, I'll always think about him not staying down when he was getting beaten in Cool Hand Luke, I got a lot of beatings when I was a kid and even though there were always a group of them, I wouldn't stay down.

Paul Newman 1925-2008



The Story Of Newman's Own

No comments:

Labor News

Followers

Blog Archive